22 February 2007

Skin + Bones

So I've been fighting it... and I know we're all supposed to be completely obsessed with Skin + Bones at MOCA, but I just don't get it. For one, the title is so dramatic it makes me think I'm walking into a Steven King novel. Should I bring my ice pick with me? I have also been really wondering what the deal is with the massive list of designers. It sounds like a child who is trying to name all their best friends.

After reviewing the whole thing, a few of them start to sound familiar: Hussein Chalayan, Comme des Garçons, Issey Miyake [who they list as Miyake Issey], Yohji... wait! Isn't this all sounding a bit similar to 'Breaking the Mode'? I am starting to think the majority of this show is a rip-off of the 'construction' segment of the exhibit, with a few big name architects infused. They sure fooled a lot of people, even Demi & Ashton, who made the celeb-phile curators very happy by agreeing to attend the opening [or Opening Night Fête, as they all want us to call it].

I think the show itself is really beautiful, but is the concept really that novel? It seems most people would be able to link the structure and construction of clothes to architecture... it would be more interesting if they had a concrete show of the specific architecture that influenced each designer. Either that, or I'm still resenting them for butchering the opening room of the Rauschenberg retrospective. And please, fix the parking situation A.S.A.P.

No comments: